MMI 2005 Events Archive
- Congratulations to Dr. Michele Barry who was named a Howard Hughes International Research Scholar on
Thursday, July 7, 2005. Dr. Barry will receive this funding for the
next 5 years to help fund her research at the U of A.
- The faculty, staff and students of MMI
reluctantly said goodbye to the Department’s long time APO, Dr.
Marissa Wohllebe, as she officially retired on June 30th, 2005. In
appreciation of Marissa’s long service to the University, and in
honor of her retirement, a tree was planted on the south side of HMRC
between HMRC and MSB. In addition a donation was made to the Gaden
Samten Ling Tibetan Buddhist Building Fund, a project very dear to
Marissa's heart. The Department wishes Marissa the very best in
all her future endeavors.
- Congratulations toDr. Diane Taylor who is the recipient of the YWCA Women of Distinction Award for 2005 in
Science and Technology. “For significant contribution or
outstanding achievement in the advancement of science or technology,
through research or application, in the Edmonton area.”
- Dr. Diane
Taylor with Donna Burton, External Relations Advisor with Alberta
Research Council, who sponsored the award in Science and Technology - June 16, 2005.
- We are sad to announce that Dr.
Margaret Finlayson, a long time adjunct appointee in this Department,
died Saturday, June 11, 2005. Dr. Finlayson was 83 and a great
character; we will miss her.
- Dr. Edan Foley has been successful in his application for a Tier II Canada Research Chair. Congratulations Dr. Foley!
Jim Smiley has just been awarded a Canada
Research Chair in Virology.
- Congratulations to Trevor Stenson, Research Associate with the Peppler lab and his wife Jody on the birth of their baby boy, Howard Arthur
Stenson, on June 20, 2005, 10:08 am, weighing 9lbs 8oz. Both parents
and baby are doing well.
- Congratulations to Gerald Audette, post-doc in Dr. Bart Hazes lab,
and his wife Shelagh, who are the proud new parents of a healthy baby
boy. Aidan James was born around 3:30 AM, June 14, 2005, weighing
6 lbs 15 ozs. Both parents and baby are doing well.